neubig at is.naist.jp
My research focuses on handling human languages (like English or Japanese) with computers, so called natural language processing. In particular, recently I am interested in unsupervised learning from natural input (such as speech audio or unannotated text) for applications such as machine translation and speech recognition. You can find more details, and publications on my research page, which doubles as my CV.
I like developing, and have created open-source software which I have summarized here: software page. I also have had a chance to give tutorials and TA on subjects Bayesian non-parametrics and language modeling, which are posted on my teaching page in the hope that people will find them useful.
- 2014-10-9: The news has been a bit neglected this year, but we've been busy with research, publishing a bunch of papers in ACL (1, 2), COLING (1, 2), TACL (1), EACL (1), InterSpeech, ICASSP, and others! More detail on the publications page.
- 2014-1-21: A textbook on machine translation in Japanese, "機械翻訳" that I co-authored with Taro Watanabe, Kenji Imamura, Hideto Kazawa, and Toshiaki Nakazawa went on sale today!
- 2014-1-14: Our work was introduced in the 1/14 issue of the Japanese version of the Economist!
- 2013-10-21: We successfully finished our Workshop on Language Processing and Crisis Information at IJCNLP 2013. Thank you to everyone who participated! I also presented one paper on high-reliability information extraction (software) at the workshop, and another on our medical translation system at the medical NLP workshop at the same conference.
- 2013-10-1: Our work on faster simultaneous translation was covered by Asahi Shimbun, mynavi, MSN, the Japanese national television program Sukkiri, and the weekly magazine "Shukan Shincho."
- 2013-8-25: We will present 9 papers at InterSpeech, one of the top international conferences in speech!
- 2013-8-4: I had two papers on data selection using neural networks and my toolkit for open source tree-to-string translation at ACL, the top conference in natural language processing!
- 2012-4-2: I joined the Nara Institute of Science and Technology as an assistant professor.
- 2012-3-26: I recieved my doctoral degree from Kyoto University.
- 2012-1-7: I am a co-organizer for the theme session on "Language information processing in times of crisis" at NLP2012.
- 2011-7-12: I am doing a summer internship at Google!